published Tuesday, August 27,1996
Buhl Day evolves into a weekend
Link to detailed schedule of events // Buhl Farm map
At the first revival of Buhl Day in 1980, a respectable 28 activities including entertainment and fireworks were listed. In 1996, the Labor Day event includes a multitude of performers and activities that will take place over a three-day, activity-packed weekend, Aug. 31-Sept. 2.
The showcase of the weekend is, of course, Buhl Day itself when the three honorees - Austra Blaus, Joseph P. Valentino and Ferdinand "Ferd" A. Dalo Jr. - are recognized during opening ceremonies. They start at 11:45 a.m. at the Performing Arts Center in Buhl Farm, Hermitage.
Buhl Day is a salute to turn-of-the-century industrialist Frank H. Buhl and his wife, Julia F. They left a legacy of philanthropic works in the Shenango Valley, including the park itself.
On Buhl Day, every section of the park will be filled with activities and food booths of all kinds. Archer Rodney White of Hermitage, an Olympic gold medalist, also will visit with Buhl Day guests throughout the park. Monday's gala will be preceded by weekend events.
- Junior tennis tournament starting at 10 a.m. at Buhl Farm tennis courts. Rain date is Monday. The Herald is sponsoring this tournament.
- Fishing contest from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lake Julia. There is a small entry fee. Anglers must be from 6- to 15-years-old and there will be boy and girl divisions. Applications are available at F.H. Buhl Club, Sharon, and Buhl Farm Casino, Hermitage. PNC Bank is the sponsor.
Golf tournament for those 45 years and older will be at Buhland Golf Course, Hermitage. Men will tee off at 8:30 a.m. and women at 11.
Sunday activities :
- Cavalcade of Schools at 1 p.m. at the Performing Arts Center. This will feature performances by local majorettes, dance and flag lines and cheerleaders.
- Talent showcase at 3 p.m. at the PAC. Local drill teams and dance groups will perform.
Saturday and Sunday:
- Bocce tournament at the New Deal Club, Farrell. Finals will start at 1:30 p.m. Buhl Day at the bocce courts.
Sunday and Buhl Day:
Civil War re-enactment at Sharon Country Club grove.
Back to TOP // Back to Buhl Day '96 page // Back to Herald HOME
Updated August 29, 1996