Published Thursday, March 23, 2000
No decision yet in alleged sex probe
By Felicia A. Petro
Allied News Staff Writer
Investigations continue into an alleged sexual incident last month at Grove City High School, in which a 16-year-old girl accused a 17-year-old boy of coercing her into having intercourse with him.
“We’re not sure if we have anything criminal right now,” said Grove City Police Chief Richard Jazwinski. The alleged incident occurred Feb. 15 in a rest room at the high school.
Police did not immediately release the allegations to the public because, “There’s so much involved that we wanted to interview anybody that had any information,” he said.
There were no witnesses, Jazwinski said. “This type of incident is one of those that there’s ... one person’s word against another.”
The boy and girl knew each other, he said.
The girl was examined by a physician but the test results haven’t been finalized, Jazwinski said.
“That’s why we weren’t putting this out right away because we want to confirm things,” he said
The boy was not arrested, the chief added. He was suspended, however, said Assistant Superintendent Tom Bell, “because of the facts we had at the time.”
The case will not be brought before the school board because the student has withdrawn from school, he said. If he had not withdrawn, the board would have determined whether to expel him, Bell said.
Grove City police have sent the case to the Mercer County District Attorney’s Office for advice, Jazwinski said.
Back to TOP // Herald
Local news //
Local news headlines //
For info about advertising on our site or Web-site creation:
Copyright ©2000 The Sharon Herald Co. All rights reserved.
or retransmission in any form is prohibited without our permission.