Buhl Day '99 main page
Last year's Buhl Day coverage
BUHL DAY EVENTS
All events are at Buhl Farm park, Hermitage, on Monday, Sept. 6, unless noted.
BUHL DAY CHAIRMANPRE-BUHL DAY EVENTS
- David Goodwin, Sharon
- Carol Simon, Hermitage
- Dr. Theodore L. Yarboro Sr., Hermitage
Saturday, Sept. 4
14th Annual Junior Tennis TournamentBUHL DAY EVENTS & ATTRACTIONS
Funded by The Herald
- 10 a.m., Buhl Farm tennis courts (rain date: Sept. 5)
45 & over Golf Tournament
- At Buhland Golf Course. Men, 8:30 a.m.; women 11 a.m.
Sunday , Sept. 5
Funded by the Western Reserve Fish and Game Protective Association
- At Lake Julia. Registration 9 to 10 a.m.; derby from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 6ENTERTAINMENT
F.H. Buhl Memorial Service
Conducted by St. John's Episcopal Church
- 9 a.m., chapel, Oakwood Cemetery, Hermitage
F.H. Buhl Club/Sharon American Legion Post 299 5k run
- 9:15 a.m., starting on Kerrwood Drive, Hermitage
- 9:30 a.m., starting on Kerrwood Drive, Hermitage
Funded by National City Bank
- 2 to 5 p.m. -- Moonwalk
- 2:30 to 4:30 -- Balloon-art performer
- 2:30 to 3:15 -- First "Winnie the Pooh" Show
- 3:30 to 4:15 -- Second "Winnie the Pooh" Show
- 1 p.m. -- F.H. Buhl Mermaids, synchronized swimming
Funded by First National Bank of Pennsylvania
- 12:45 to 2:15 p.m. -- Children's games for ages 2 to 4 and 5 to 7
- 1 to 3 p.m. -- Face painting
- 1:30 to 3 p.m. -- Old-fashioned games for ages 8 and older
Funded by Kaufmann's, a division of May Department Stores Co.
- Noon to 5 p.m. -- Art show by Valley Art Guild
- 1 to 2 p.m. -- String quartet
Picnic Grove Area/Center Vista East
- 1 to 2 p.m. -- United States Karate Federation, Sharpsville
- All day-- Army National Guard military tactic display
- 1:30 to 4 p.m. -- Horseback-riding pairs demonstration, near the frog pond, featuring Sara McHarg and Susan O'Brien
Funded by The Buhl Day Committee
8:45 p.m. at Kite Field
Performing Arts CenterFOOD
Emcees: WPIC broadcasters with Dave Hanahan and Joe Biro. Sound provided by Gary Peidle
- 11:45 a.m. -- Special performance by the Centurions Baton and Drum Corps at the Performing Arts Center before the opening ceremony at noon.
- Noon to 1 p.m. -- Opening ceremonies. The program will include a special tribute to all past Buhl Day honored guests and past Buhl Day chairpersons from 1980-98. Flag-raising by the Young Marines. National Anthem performed by the West Middlesex High School Nightingales.
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. -- Shenango Valley Chorale
- 2 to 3 p.m. -- The Varatones
- 3:15 to 3:45 p.m. -- Sharon High Tiger Kittens
- 4 to 4:30 p.m. -- "Traveling Shoes", a clogging show team
- 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. -- Shenango Valley Orchestra
- 6 to 6:30 p.m. -- Northminster Boot Scooters
- 6:45 to 7:30 p.m. -- The Four Aces legendary vocal group, funded by Wheatland Tube Co.
- 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. -- Carl Marks Concert Band and grand finale with The Four Aces and a pyrotechnic display from the PAC stage
Buhl Day historical display
Near the Performing Arts Center
- 1 to 3 p.m. -- featuring 20 years of Buhl Day memories, 1980-1999
Shelter 1POINTS OF INTEREST
- Sharon Cub Scout Pack 3 -- sno-cones, pop and candy
- Wheatland-Farrell United Methodist Fellowship -- fruit kabobs, nachos and cheese, bottled water, baked goods and fruit cups
- St. Bartholomew's Church -- homemade pizza, bowties and pop
- Sharon Shrine No. 8 -- hot dogs, kraut, chili dogs, pop, coffee and cookies
- Sharon Kiwanis -- French fries, pop and water
- St. Leopold Mandic Kolo -- BBQ chicken dinner and lemon shakes
- St. Anthony's Church -- kolbasi and kraut, French fries, funnel cake, pop, coffee and donuts
- Shenango Valley YMCA -- meatball sandwich and pop
- Sons of American Legion -- hot sausage sandwiches, nachos and cheese and pop
- Greek Church Annunciation -- gyros and souvlaki.
- Penn-Ohio Football Club -- cold drinks
- Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church And Preschool/Childcare -- holusky and roast beef sandwiches
- Episcopal Church of Redeemer -- BBQ chicken, hot dogs, pop and water
- Shenango Valley Urban League Guild -- chocolate cakes, cookies, cup cakes and candy, ice cream and BBQ chicken
- St. Joseph's Hospitality Ministry and Holy Name Society -- sausage with peppers and onions, cheese sticks
- Sharon Lions -- bloom 'n onion, sno-cones, pop and water
- Sharon Rotary Club -- BBQ beef sandwiches and orange drink
- Brookfield Optimists Club -- Italian sausage sandwich and pop
- Hermitage Women's Club -- homemade pies, coffee and pop
- Hickory United Methodist Church -- meatball sandwiches and pop
- AW/ARE -- hot dogs, sauerkraut, onions, nachos and cheese, pop, water and coffee
- Brookfield Rotary -- French fries and pop
- Girl Scout Troop No. 27 -- baked potatoes with toppings, pop, water and sport drinks.
- Penn State Shenango Alumni Association -- Penn State Creamery Ice Cream
- Habitat for Humanity -- ice cream floats and coffee
- Sharon Wrestling Club -- shaved ice, pop corn, cotton candy, pop and Italian ice
- Humane Society -- lemon shakes
- Sharon High School Band Boosters -- cotton candy, popcorn, nachos, pop and candy
- St. Paul's United Church Of Christ -- elephant ears and roast beef sandwiches.
Cellular phones and air time used by the Buhl Day staff on Buhl Day weekend donated by Wilcom Cellular, Hermitage. Walkie-talkies supplied by Cattron Communications Inc., Sharpsville.
Lost and found
Buhl Farm Casino
Buhl Day souvenirs
Behind the Performing Arts Center
Behind the Performing Arts Center
Kite Field -- STAT Medevac helicopter supplied by UPMC Horizon from 11:30 - 3:30; Rural Metro and McGonigle's EMT Units
Shelter 1 -- EMOC Emergency Center full-service first-aid staffed and sponsored by UPMC Horizon
BUS SCHEDULE FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
Free bus service courtesy of Shenango Valley Shuttle Service, Mercer County Regional Council of Governments and Shenango Valley Chamber of Commerce
Pickup bound for Buhl Farm
- Connelly and Riverview Apts., Sharon -- 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
- Buchanan Manor, Wheatland -- 11:15 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- I.B. Lavigne Manor, Farrell -- 11:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
- Fornelli Manor, Sharon -- 11:45 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Mertz Towers, Sharpsville -- Noon and 1:15 p.m.
Buses leaving Buhl Farm
- Casino or Shelter 2 -- 4:30 and 6 p.m.