Buhl Day 2000 main page
Last year's Buhl Day coverage
Buhl Day eents
All events at Buhl Farm park, Hermitage, on Monday, Sept. 4, unless noted.
NOTE: The food listings here are correct for this year. Some copies of the Buhl Day committee's official program have incorrect food information.
2000 BUHL DAY CHAIRPERSONS
Traci Valentino and Sue McLaughlin
Olive Brown, Farrell
George Gerhart, Sharon
Rita Karing, Sharon
PRE-BUHL DAY EVENTS
Saturday, Sept. 2
15th Annual Junior Tennis Tournament
Funded by The Herald
- 10 a.m., Buhl Farm tennis courts (rain date: Sunday)
45 and over Golf Tournament
- At Buhland Golf Course. Men 8 a.m.; women 11.
Funded by the Western Reserve Fish and Game Protective Association
- 9 a.m.-noon, Lake Julia
BUHL DAY EVENTS & ATTRACTIONS
F.H. Buhl Memorial Service
Conducted by St. John's Episcopal Church
- 9 a.m., Oakwood Cemetery, Hermitage
F.H. Buhl Club/Sharon American Legion Post 299 5K Run
- 9:25 a.m., starting on Kerrwood Drive at East State Street, Hermitage,
- 9:30 a.m, starting on Kerrwood Drive, Hermitage, at Hermitage Towne Plaza and proceeding down East State Street to Buhl Boulevard and into Buhl Farm park.
Funded by National City Bank
- 12:30 p.m. -- Sadecki Puppet Show, Storybook Tales
- 1:30 -- Second Puppet Show
- 1:30 to 2:30 -- Balloon Sculpture Art
- 2:30 to 4:30 -- Face Painters (3)
- 2:45 -- Magic Show with Ray Witkowski
- 3:45 -- Second Magic Show
- 4:15 to 4:45 -- Balloon Sculpture Art
- 1 p.m. -- F.H. Buhl Mermaids, synchronized swimming
The future of casting your ballot: touch-type voting machine, on display all-day by the Mercer County Bureau of Elections and Voter Registration
Shelter 4 near Casino
Games funded by the Buhl Day Committee
- 12:45 to 2:15 p.m. -- Children's games for ages 2 to 4 and 5 to 7
- 12:45 to 2:15 p.m. -- Intermediate games for ages 8 to 12: parachute, limbo, relay races, water potato, water balloon toss
Shelter 3 at Baseball Field
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. -- High school games for ages 13 to 18
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. -- Cheerleading exhibition featuring Sharon Middle School, Sharon JV/freshmen, Greenville Varsity Competition, Hermitage Varsity Competition, Hermitage Varsity, Sharon Varsity and Wilmington Varsity
- 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. -- "Bandit", a country and country-rock dance band
- 5 to 7 p.m. -- "Lynt", an alternative metal band
- All day -- Civil Air Patrol Display
- noon to 5 p.m. -- Art show by Valley Arts Guild. Funded by Kaufmann's
- 1 to 2 p.m. -- Harpist
- All day --Buhl Day Historical and Memorabilia Display
Picnic Grove Area/Center Vista East
- All day -- Military tactic display by Army National Guard
Buhl Farm Tennis Courts
- 1 to 4 p.m. -- Olde Tyme Tennis Exhibition
Shelter 2 Lawn Area
- All day -- Corvettes/Antique Cars Display
Funded by First National Bank of Pennsylvania
- 8:45 p.m. at Kite Field
Performing Arts Center
Emcees: WPIC broadcasters Dave Hanahan and Joe Biro. Sound provided by Gary Peidle
- Noon -- Opening Ceremonies with Our National Anthem sung by the West Middlesex High School Nightingales
- 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. -- Shenango Valley Chorale
- 1:30 to 2 p.m. -- Sokol USA Gymnastics Team
- 2:15 to 3:15 p.m. -- The Vara-Tones
- 3:30 to 4 p.m. -- "Traveling Shoes", a clogging show team
- 4:15 to 4:45 p.m. -- Sharon High School Tiger Kittens and Men of Note.
- 5 to 6 -- The Orchid Pool
- 6:15 to 6:45 p.m. -- Northminster Bootscooters
- 7 to 8:15 p.m. -- Shenango Valley Orchestra
- St. Leopold Mandic -- BBQ chicken dinners and lemon shakes
- Greek Orthodox Church -- gyros and souvlaki
- Seeds of Faith Ministry -- BBQ ribs, soft drinks and french fries
- Sons of American Legion 299 -- Italian sweet sausage, pop, chips
- St Anthony's Church -- funnel cakes, donuts, french fries, pop, coffee, kolbassi and kraut
- St. Joe's Holy Name Society -- sausage sandwiches, pop and water
- Sharon Rotary Club -- BBQ sandwiches and soft drinks
- St. Paul's United Church of Christ -- roast beef sandwiches, elephant ears, soft drinks
- Sharon Shrine 8 -- hot dogs, kraut dogs and soft drinks
- Habitat For Humanity -- ice cream floats and coffee.
- Brookfield Rotary Club -- french fries, donuts, coffee, soft drinks and water
- Brookfield Basketball Parents -- meatball sandwiches, popcorn, soft drinks and water
- Pregnancy Services of Western Pennsylvania -- homemade tacos and nachos, dipped strawberries, pretzels and nuts in chocolate, water
- Penn Lakes Girl Scouts 27 -- baked potatoes with the works, water and soft drinks
- AW/ARE -- hot dogs with sauerkraut, cheese or chili, coffee, soft drinks, nacho and water
- Episcopal Church of The Redeemer -- italian sausage, kolbassi, bratwurst, hot dogs, soft drinks and water
- Second Chance Ministries -- potato salad, sloppy joes, fruit cups, iced coffee, soft drinks, pasta salad
- Shenango Valley Urban League -- cakes, cookies, candy, soft drinks, ice cream, BBQ chicken
- Brookfield Optimists Club -- Italian sausage, soft drinks
- Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church -- haluski, cabbage and noodles, fresh fruit cups
- Sharon Kiwanis Club -- french fries and water.
- Grace in the Wilderness Church Youth Group -- candy, chips, water, soft drinks (noon to 4 p.m.)
- Sharon Cheerleading -- dip 'n dots ice cream
- Cub Scout Pack 90 -- soft drinks and water.
Lawn Area at Shelter 1
- Shenango Valley Church of God -- meatball sandwiches, pie by the piece, cookies, submarine sandwiches, soft drinks.
Lawn Area at Shelter 2
- Cub Scout Pack 3 -- snow cones, soft drinks, candy, water
- Penn-Ohio Football Club -- nachos and cheese, snow cones, soft drinks
- Sharon Band Boosters -- popcorn, chips, soft drinks, cotton candy, nachos.
Lawn Area Near Pac
- Sharon Senior Class of 2001 -- Snapple and water
- Sharon Wrestling -- shaved ice, popcorn, candy apples, cotton candy
- Humane Society of Mercer County -- lemon shakes
- Penn State Shenango Alumni -- Penn State ice cream.
POINTS OF INTEREST
Cellular phones and air time used by the Buhl Day staff on Buhl Day weekend donated by CellularOne in Hermitage. Walkie-talkies supplied by Cattron Communications Inc., Sharpsville.
Lost and Found
At the Casino
Buhl Day souvenirs
Behind the PAC, offering embroidered sweatshirts, golf shirts, note pads, tote bags, Buhl Farm note cards with envelopes
Behind the PAC
- Shelter 2 -- Sharon Regional Health System's first-aid tent and Rural Metro and McGonigle's EMT units
- Performing Arts Center -- Emergency Medical Operation Center, a full-service first-aid station staffed and sponsored by UPMC Horizon
BUS SCHEDULE FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
Free bus service courtesy of Shenango Valley Shuttle Service, Mercer County Regional Council of Governments and Shenango Valley Chamber of Commerce
Pickups bound for Buhl Farm
- Connelly and Riverview Apts., Sharon -- 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
- Buchanan Manor, Wheatland -- 11:15 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- I.B. Lavigne Manor, Farrell -- 11:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m.
- Fornelli Manor, Sharon -- 11:45 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Mertz Towers, Sharpsville -- Noon and 1:15 p.m.
Buses leaving Buhl Farm
- Casino or Shelter 2 -- 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.